- 1 Muscovy duck breast
- Black pepper
- Chinese 5-spice. Even amounts:
- Star anise
- Fennel seeds
- Szechuan or regular peppercorns
- Cinnamon stick
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F.
- If you’re making your own 5-Spice, gather your ingredients in a mortar or a spice grinder and grind the seeds into semi-fine powder.
- Diagonally score the fatty side of the breast without cutting through to the meat, then season the entire duck breast on all sides making sure to get it into the cuts.
- Place skin-side down in a cold cast iron pan and heat it slowly to medium heat for the fat to render out*, leaving the skin crisp instead of soggy.
- Cook 8-10 minutes then flip for a minute and finish in the oven for 6 minutes.
- Let the duck rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
*Rendered duck fat can be stored in a mason jar or added to the vegetables and rice for extra flavour.