Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s,
3-4 lamb shanks
5 medium potatoes
½ cup pre-soaked Cannellini beans (or any other ones you like)
2 medium eggplants
1 large Spanish onion cut in thick rounds
5-6 cloves of garlic
1-2 bell peppers
1 pound of tomatoes
All vegetables should be cut into similar size cubes or thick slices
1. Brown lamb shanks on all sides with a small amount of avocado oil.
2. Layer circles of onion and scatter some garlic cloves.
3. Layer potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4. Cannellini beans (previously soaked overnight)
5. Next, layer large cubes of eggplant, previously salted and drained to get rid of unpleasant bitter taste.
6. Finally, layer rounds of pepper and slices of fresh tomatoes.
7. Add boiling water until everything is well submerged or as much as your pot allows.
8. Bake in the oven at 220C for about 2 hours.