- 1 Butternut squash (or any squash of roughly the same size)
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- Avocado oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable, chicken, or turkey stock, or filtered water
- Chilli of choice
- Smoke paprika
The quality of your spices strongly affects your soup’s flavour, especially when using water instead of a well-seasoned broth.
We’re in no way affiliated – @BurlapandBarrel has fresh and wonderfully aromatic spices. You can use your own favourite brands but fresh spices always taste better.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F.
- Halve your squash and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. You can use these later.
- In a big stainless steel bowl, combine your squash, unpeeled garlic, avocado oil, and seasoning. Coat the squash evenly, then lay it out on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish and roast for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender.
- Squeeze garlic out of their skins and transfer everything to a high-powered blender. Add your liquid of choice and blend until velvety smooth.
- Pour your soup into serving bowls and garnish with extra virgin olive oil, scallions or cilantro, grated nutmeg, sumac, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, or chopped walnuts.